The place where writers come together.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Death has a name

Go down

Death has a name Empty Death has a name

Post by Zylocks55 Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:07 am

I've become so cold in my later state. After carrying souls of the departed for so long I could no longer feel for them, until this day came. She approached me in such a gentle way. Her short blonde hair slowly fading from existence. Her eyes seemed to have so much life, but I knew better. She was dying. This 8 year old girl would soon join me in her final journey, and yet she smiled. "You know who I am child?" I asked her contemptuously. "You are my friend. You've been with me my whole life and never once left me. You're the only one who never abandoned me." She was right. Cancer may have set its eyes on her at an extremely early age but I have always been there for her. "Remember last year when I was at home in my back yard and mommy was cooking. You pushed me on the swing. We had such a great day that day." I smiled back at her. "We did didn't we?" "And then there was the time that all of my friends couldn't make my birthday party. Well at least that's what mommy said. I'm sure I didn't really have any, but I had you. You celebrated with me even though mommy couldn't see you. She said you was imaginary." I did do this. Since birth she had been conflicted and yet the signs didn't start showing until recently. "When you was just a baby," I brought up, "I would rock you. You would sleep in your crib and I would rock you, but do you know why?" She shook her head no. "It's because you are my gift. You see, I could never have children. My father wouldn't allow it, but then Life, a very dear friend of mine, gave me you. She told me that I could have you from the day you were born. I was so excited to finally have a child, and yet I didn't foresee that you would have to join me so quickly. You were a gift for me, but I am a curse for you. You will never get older. You will never experience a first love, a marriage, a child of your own. To attain my gift, you must bear a burden. I am sorry for this." Never once did I lose her gaze. She stared me in the eyes the entire time. "But I don't need any of that. I've had you this whole time. Some people get all those other things and take it for granted. You gave me a real gift. I belonged." For 8 years old she had watched way too much television. She had learned real life. I smiled at her again. "Are you ready to go?" I asked her. She nodded yes as she took my hand. As we left the room the final beep called everyone back into the room. Through all their tears she smiled knowing she will never be forgotten. By them or me.

Zylocks55
Admin

https://writersannonymous.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum